How to Adjust External Monitor Brightness on Windows 11 & 10. If you frequently use an external monitor, you are aware that there are instances when you need to quickly adjust its brightness. We are constrained to using the hardware buttons on the device, though, because Windows doesn’t natively support it. However, on Windows 11 and 10, there is a useful program that enables you to change the brightness of your external display. On your PC, you can even set up a shortcut to quickly change the monitor brightness. On that topic, let’s use our instructions below to understand how to accomplish that.
Change Monitor Brightness on Windows 11/10 Using Twinkle Tray
For Windows, we’ll use a program called Twinkle Tray to change the brightness of our external monitors. It offers a wide range of functions and is totally free. It features multiple monitor compatibility, customizable hotkeys, time-based configurable brightness, contrast and volume adjustments, and more. In order to speak with the monitor, it employs the DDC/CI protocol. Here is how to put it to use.
2. Next, open it, and you will find it under the System Tray in the bottom-right corner.
3. Open it and simply drag the slider to change the external monitor’s brightness. How cool is that?
4. For more customization, click on the “Cog” icon to open the Settings page.
5. Here, move to the “Hotkeys and Shortcuts” section.
6. Now, under “Increase Brightness” and “Decrease Brightness,” you can assign the shortcut keys. For example, I have set the ‘Alt + Up’ and ‘Down’ keys to increase/decrease the brightness.
7. Other parameters, such as contrast adjustment, time-based preferences, and others, can also be changed.
Change Monitor Brightness Using Hardware Buttons
The DDC/CI protocol is not supported by all older monitors. In that instance, Windows 11 and 10 need you to adjust the external monitor brightness using the hardware buttons on your monitor. This is the procedure.
- Check the monitor’s underside for the hardware buttons. The monitor’s left, center, or right side should contain it. To access the menu, press the button.
2. Here, look for ‘Brightness’ or ‘Picture.’ Now, open it.
3. Now, go to the “Brightness” setting and adjust the value as you see fit.
4. You can also change other settings like contrast, sharpness, color mode, etc.
Simply stop clicking any buttons after you’re finished, and the menu should go away. If you ever wish to adjust the brightness of your monitor, feel free to do so by following the steps above.